Care Needs Assessment

To apply for services from your local authority you can contact them directly (see Further information and contact details section).  A member of staff from your local authority will ask for basic personal information about you and your situation.  They will pass this on to the social services team who work with adults (the name of this team may vary depending on where you live, but for the purposes of this information sheet this team will be referred to as Adult Social Care Team).  A member of the Adult Social Care Team will contact you to discuss how you would like to be assessed.  There are a number of options including face-to-face with a member of the Adult Social Care Team, telephone or you could choose a supported self-assessment. 

Supported self-assessment is an assessment led by you and supported by the local authority. The objective is to place you in control of the assessment process.  For more information about Supported Self Assessments please contact your local authority (see Further information and contact details section).

However you choose to be assessed, the assessment should focus on your needs, how they impact on your wellbeing and the outcomes you want to achieve.  It should involve exploring what you can do for yourself, what you are able to do with some help, what help you feel you need in your day-to-day life and how you want help to be provided.  The assessment will also consider whether you are at risk of harm or danger, how you can be helped to live safely and independently and how you can keep your independence by being encouraged to do as much for yourself as you are able. 

If you have an unpaid carer, including a husband / wife or other family member, their needs will be assessed separately.  

The local authority have to involve you in the assessment.  If you need help to be involved in the assessment the local authority must provide you with an Independent Advocate to help you understand the process.

Once the local authority have applied the national minimum threshold (as above), if you and/or your carer have eligible needs they will then:

  • check that you are ordinarily resident in the local authority area (i.e. that you have chosen to make your home in the area covered by the local authority who are assessing your needs) and

  • carry out a financial assessment (see below)

If at a later date you become less able to cope at home you can contact your local authority again for another assessment.

Was this information helpful?
Acceditation logos