Home care services delivered by care agencies

Care agencies are private companies, or voluntary sector organisations who provide personal and practical support to meet the needs of people finding it difficult to manage at home due to:

• old age

Or because you have a

• physical disability

• mental health illness

• learning disability or

• care for someone who is older or disabled

The personal and practical support offered may include help with:

• getting up and going to bed

• bathing or showering

• going to the toilet

• continence care
• preparing meals

• eating and drinking

• housework

• prompting medication

• 24hr live-in care

• palliative care

• respite care

• convalescence care
• escorting to appointments or social interests

• shopping

Staff are all fully trained, checked for criminal records, and offer a professional level of service. Service provision from care agency staff can range from 30 minute visits to full 24hr care. Charges will vary from agency to agency and may double for night time care, weekend care, or care to cover public holidays. Always confirm terms and conditions and charges with the agency providing your care. All care agencies providing care must be registered with the Care Quality Commission and are inspected regularly to ensure national care standards are being adhered to.

Information and inspection reports about registered care agencies are available free of charge from:

Care Quality Commission (CQC)

National Correspondence Centre
Tel:  03000 616161
Fax: 03000 616171
Opening hours:  Monday – Friday 8.30 a.m. – 5.30 pm.
Email: enquiries@cqc.org.uk

National body for monitoring all standards of care in the NHS, Social Services Care, Mental Health Care, and Private Health Care sectors. Monitors all standards of care in Nursing and Residential Care, Care Agencies and any establishment where care is delivered. Any complaints you may have about the standard of care that you, a friend or family member may have received, that you have not been able to resolve at local level should be made to the CQC.

Further details about how to complain about the standard of your care are available on the Help & Care factsheet “How to make a complaint” download a copy from this website or contact Help & Care on 0300 111 3303 and ask for a copy to be mailed to you.

Was this information helpful?
Acceditation logos