How to claim Carers' Allowance
Apply online at:
If you are unable to apply online you can obtain a copy of this by downloading the form from
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/carers-allowance-claim-form - filling it in by hand and returning it to the address indicated on the form. You may want a trusted friend, relative, or health and social care professional or volunteer to help you download and complete the form. You can also call the Carers’ Allowance Unit on 0345 608 4321 to request a paper copy be sent to you.
Details you will need to complete the form include:
- Your National Insurance (NI) number, (if you have a partner you will also need their NI number)
- Your bank or building Society details
- If you are still working you will need your employment details and a copy of your latest pay slip
- A copy of your P45 if you have recently finished working
- Details of any courses you are currently studying
You will also need the following details about the person you care for:
- Their date of birth and address details
- Their NI number if they are aged 16 or over
- Disability Living Allowance reference number if they are aged under 16
Your claim can be back dated by up to 3 months.