0300 111 3303

Short break services - a break from your caring role

Bournemouth and Poole – Taking a break/Breaks from caring

Bournemouth and Poole borough councils both make individual arrangements for carers to take a short break from their caring role. Contact your local Adult Social Care Office for more details:

Bournemouth Care Direct:01202 454979
Poole Helpdesk:01202 633902

As part of this provision you may be referred to:

Home from Home day respite service – East Boro Housing Trust

East Boro Housing Trust
Faulkner House
31 West Street
Dorset BH21 1JS
Tel: 01202 883503
Fax: 01202 883503
Email: sway@ebht.org.uk
Website: www.ebht.org.uk

Home from Home provides reliable day respite for carers of older people (aged 55+) in Bournemouth and Poole.
Each person is matched to a “Host” who is fully trained, insured, DBS police checked and whose home has been safety assessed, thereby allowing the carer some time to themselves with the peace of mind their friend or relative is in a safe environment enjoying a range of different social activities and a home cooked meal.  For further details contact Service Coordinator.

Dorset County Council’s Subsidised Short Break Service

The service is available to people who live in the areas covered by Dorset County Council, who look after a friend or relative who has an illness or disability and cannot be left alone.  To be able to take advantage of the service the cared for person must be 18 years of age or over. Carers who are interested need to contact the Carers Case Worker via the Access Team at Dorset Direct 01305 221016. They will then refer you to the Short Break Service Team at Help & Care.  We will then formally register you for the service and liaise with a care agency on your behalf.  From the details provided we will advise you of the maximum hours available to you. 

Dorset Adult Services fully fund the Dorset Short Break Service, and the amount of hours you are allocated will depend on you agreeing to a Needs Assessment. The care assistant can look after a person in a similar way to their usual carer, e.g. providing company, taking the cared for person to the toilet, making a drink or meal, taking the person out and providing occasional overnight care. More care can be purchased by you privately, from the care agency at the full rate if required.

Please note that the service cannot look after anyone other than the cared for person.  It does not provide other services, e.g. domestic work, treatment, or administer medication.

Was this information helpful?