Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

What is PIP?

PIP is a benefit payment for adults aged 16 to 64 with a long-term condition or disability. PIP is not based on your condition, but on how your condition affects you.  You will need an assessment to work out the level of PIP that you will be awarded.  Your award will be regularly reassessed to make sure you’re getting the right level of support.


Do you qualify?

To qualify for PIP, you must have a disability or long-term health condition and be experiencing difficulties with activities related to your daily living or mobility. You must have been experiencing these difficulties for 3 months and expect them to last for at least 9 months. It’s not about your diagnosis but how your condition affects your ability to do everyday tasks.


Special Rules – if you are terminally ill

Claimants who are not expected to live more than six months are able to make a claim under “Special Rules” so that you are able to get PIP more quickly. To do this you must:


  • Complete the PIP form
  • Include a DS1500 form – you can only get these from a doctor, specialist, or consultant

Claims can be made on behalf of someone else without their permission if necessary.  The letter about money awarded will not mention “special rules”.


Eligibility Criteria

There are two components to PIP; Daily Living and Mobility needs. Each component can be paid at standard rate, or enhanced rate for those with the greatest needs.

Daily living component

Standard weekly rate: £57.30 (April 2017/18)

Enhanced weekly rate: £85.60 (April 2017/18)

Mobility component

Standard weekly rate: £22.65 (April 2017/18)

Enhanced weekly rate: £59.75 (April 2017/18)


Daily living difficulties: You may be awarded the daily living component of PIP if you are having difficulty with things like:


  • Preparing or eating food
  • Washing and bathing
  • Dressing and undressing
  • Reading
  • Using the toilet
  • Communicating
  • Managing your medicines or treatments
  • Making decisions about money


Mobility difficulties:  You may be awarded the mobility component of PIP if you need help with going out or moving around.


Making a claim

You must phone the DWP to make a claim. Someone can call on your behalf if you are unable to make the call due to your illness or disability, but you will need to be present when they make the call.  You will need to give details of the following:


  • Contact details and date of birth
  • National Insurance Number
  • Bank or building society details
  • Doctor’s or health worker’s details
  • Details of any time spent abroad or in a care home or in hospital

After making this initial call you will be sent the form “How your disability affects you” and the process of assessment will begin when you return the form to the DWP.

To assess the level of help you need you may be asked to a meeting to clarify how your health condition affects your daily needs. The meeting may be at a local assessment centre or possibly in your own home. Your GP, health or social care professionals involved in your care may also be asked to clarify some of the details you have provided. You will be informed by post whether you have been awarded PIP, how much you have been awarded, and when your next review date will be, to ensure that your needs continue to be met. Further information is available from: . Contact DWP -PIP Claims (Mon – Friday – 8am – 6pm) on:

Tel: 0800 917 2222.

Textphone: 0800 917 7777,

Calls from abroad: +44 191 218 7766


If you have speech or hearing difficulties contact the Next Generation Text (NGT) Relay Service by dialling 18001 then 0800 917 2222, there is also a British Sign Language video relay service. Information and the PIP can also be sent to you in large print, braille or on audio CD if you request it.


A paper copy of the PIP claim form can be sent to you by contacting:


Personal Independence Payment – New Claims

Post Handing Site B


WV99 1AH

however, claiming in this way may delay your claim process.


Change of circumstances

It is your responsibility to inform the DWP of any change in your circumstances that may affect your eligibility to claim and how much you may receive. For example, you or the person you claim for may need more help, may go into hospital, or may move home or abroad.  Usually your PIP will not be affected if you go:


  • Into hospital or a care home for less than 4 weeks
  • Abroad for less than 26 weeks
  • Abroad to get medical treatment for a condition which began before you left


Further Information

All payments of PIP will be paid into an account e.g.: your bank, post office or building society account. You may also be entitled to extra Universal Credit benefit payments if you are claiming PIP .

If you are turned down for PIP or you are unhappy with the decision about how much you can claim then you can appeal for the decision to be reconsidered, this is called a Mandatory Reconsideration.

Was this information helpful?