Travel Insurance

Travel insurance is essential if you are taking a holiday, especially if you are disabled or have a medical condition. Your insurance needs to cover any pre-existing medical conditions, and you need to make sure you have kept your insurance company updated on information about your condition. Consumer groups recommend that your holiday insurance should cover at least £1 million in medical cover and £4 million in repatriation cover. You also need to check that you are covered for any replacement or repair of damaged or lost equipment such as wheelchairs.


This is a card that replaces the E111 form and entitles you to reduced cost (or sometimes free) state provided health care while travelling in Europe. The card covers any EU member state, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. This is not however an alternative to travel insurance and you need to be aware that not every country will offer the same type of health service and treatments you are used to in Britain. For more information and details about the EHIC Card contact 0845 606 2030 or go online to


 Organisations able to advise on travel insurance

Age UK

Tavis House
1-6 Tavistock Square
Tel: 0800 1696565

Age UK are licensed by the Financial Services Authority to advise on insurance issues including Holiday insurance.

Was this information helpful?
Acceditation logos