0300 111 3303

Equipment for daily living in West Dorset, Weymouth & Portland

The following people can offer advice on aids; equipment or adaptations that may help support your daily living.

District nurse

Generally, the nurse will assess which aids you will need to help with medical and nursing care at home, such as commodes, hospital beds, special mattresses or a backrest for your bed. For more information, call the District Nurse at your surgery or talk to your GP.

Physiotherapy service

Generally, the physiotherapist will assess your need for mobility aids such as a zimmer frame. Physiotherapy services are available via your GP surgery, mental health units, day centres, and in people’s own homes if they are unable to visit the units because of ill health problems. Referrals are made via your GP or hospital teams. Domiciliary physiotherapists maintain a close working relationship with Social Services.

Occupational therapist

The occupational therapist assesses aids, equipment or adaptations that may be needed to enable a person to live as independently as possible. This may be a raised toilet seat, bath seat or a door entry system. Adaptations may be carried out, such as widening doorways or building ground floor bathrooms. If the need is not considered to be urgent, there may be a delay before an assessment can be made. For more information, call the Occupational Therapists at your local Social Services office.

Adult Access Team: 01305 221016 Minicom: 01305 267933
Email: adultaccess@dorsetcc.gov.uk www.dorsetforyou.com

Adult and Community Services out of office hours Emergency Duty Team: 01202 657279.


Information and advice about aids and equipment

Local information and advice

The following organisation works in partnership with Dorset County Council to provide information and advice about equipment for daily living.

The Greenwood Centre for Independent Living

Maiden Castle Road
Tel: 033 300 30010 – (ask to be put through to the Greenwood Centre)

Occupational therapy and other staff at the centre offer free and impartial assessment and advice to anyone who is experiencing difficulty with maintaining their independence, and will work with them to identify practical solutions to these difficulties. There is a wide range of products for you to look at and try to see if they suit your individual needs. Products include:
• Bathing and showering products

• Riser-recliner and armchairs

• Wheelchairs, scooters, walking products

• Meal preparation, feeding and drinking products

• Beds and associated products

• Clothing and personal care products including toileting, washing, dressing aids

• Moving and handling equipment

• Telecare solutions

Visits to the centre are by appointment only between the following times: Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays opening times 9am – 4pm.

National information and advice

Disabled Living Centres Council

Disabled Living
Burrows House
10 Priestly Road
Wardley Industrial Estate
Manchester, M28 2LY
Telephone: 0161 607 8200
Fax: 0161 607 8201
Email: info@disabledliving.co.uk www.disabledliving.co.uk

Information and advice about aids and equipment for daily living such as wheelchairs, pressure cushions and bath seats etc.

Disabled Living Foundation

For information about equipment and aids call 0845 130 9177 Mon-Fri 10am-4pm. Also visit www.dlf.org.uk
May also have details of some second hand equipment suppliers.

National Benevolent Fund for the Aged (NBFA)

32 Buckingham Palace Road
Tel: 020 7828 0200
Fax: 020 7828 0400
Email: info@nbfa.org.uk

The National Benevolent Fund for the Aged was founded to improve the quality of life for older people in the UK who live on a low income. NBFA does this by providing direct, practical assistance through the provision of emergency alarms. TENS pain relief machines as well as organising free holidays.

Stroke Association Helpline

Stroke House
240 City Road
Main telephone: 0207 566 0330 or National Helpline 0303 303 3100
Dorset telephone number: 01962 893725

Equipment for short term loan or hire – voluntary agencies

The British Red Cross

Equipment and wheelchairs available on short-term loan at local outlets across Dorset. Reconditioned equipment also available for purchase including wheelchairs, ask at local offices for further details of what is available. Will accept donations of used equipment that is in good condition. Local outlet centres listed below.

County Headquarters on 01305 215951.
24 hour helpline: 0845 331 3331

Bridport and Lyme Regis

Contact Dorchester Office 01305 215951 – Tuesday mornings
24-hour out-of-hours helpline: 0845 331 3331


Unit 5 Parkway Farm Business Park
Middleway Farm
Dorchester, DT1 3AR
Telephone 01305 215951, Monday to Friday 24-hour out-of-hours helpline: 0845 331 3331


Contact Dorchester Office on 01305 215951
24-hour out-of-hours helpline: 0845 331 3331

North Dorset Disability Information Service (NORDDIS)

3 Newbury Court
Dorset, SP8 4QX
Tel: 01747 821010 (Contact: Eileen)
Email: admin@norrddisnewbury.com

NORDDIS is a one-stop shop for anyone experiencing problems remaining independent due to disability, illness or frailty. Offers help with benefits, including home visits if necessary, access information on a range of subjects such as accessible holidays, disability equipment, care homes, social clubs, transport and access problems. Also, mobility aids for sale at profit-free prices and equipment for loan. Many NORDDIS volunteers are disabled people.

St John Ambulance

Your local division may have equipment for hire or short-term loan. Contact the County Headquarters for details of your local division.

County Headquarters,
St John House, Bridport Road,
Poundbury, Dorchester, DT1 2NH
Telephone: 01305 751169


An application for a wheelchair can be put forward by the District Nurse, Physiotherapist or the Occupational Therapist. Your GP must approve and sign the form before an application can be processed.

The West Dorset Wheelchair Service will process the request. An Occupational Therapist will arrange an appointment to assess and discuss your needs. If required the Wheelchair Service will arrange for the wheelchair to be delivered, maintained, repaired or collected.

For further information contact:

The West Dorset Wheelchair Service

Dorset Community NHS Trust
Unit F2, Marabout Industrial Estate
Dorchester, DT1 1YA
Telephone: 01305 261210
Fax: 01305 259529


Wheelchairs for Hire

Bournemouth Hearing and Mobility

91 Poole Road, BH4 9BB
Telephone: 01202 540852
Email: bournemouth@hearingandmobility.co.uk

Manual wheelchairs and electric scooters for hire. Free home trials and demonstration available. Additional branches located at Salisbury and New Milton.

Returning aids and equipment

When aids or equipment are no longer required, contact the organisation that supplied them to you. If you have any problems, you can contact NRS, on 0844 89 36 364.

Private equipment suppliers

Active Mobility


Paceycombe Way
Tel: 01305 213141
Email: info@active-mobility.co.uk
Website: www.active-mobility.co.uk


117 Radipole Lane
Tel: 01305 774422
Email: info@active-mobility.co.uk
Website: www.active-mobility.co.uk

Sell and hire daily living aids - personal, dining, household and mobility aids including wheelchairs, stairlifts and mobility scooters. Catalogues available.


16 Elmtree Road
TW11 8ST
Helpline: 0845 130 2704. Open Mon- Thurs 9am- 4pm.
Email: info@backcare.org.uk

BackCare is an independent national charity registered as the National Back Pain Association that helps people manage and prevent back pain by

• Providing evidence-based information

• Promoting best practice in the prevention and management of back pain

• Funding research into causes, treatments and management of back pain

• On-line shop for books and equipment.

• Local support groups and courses.

Care Shop

A mail order catalogue with incontinence products and independent living aids.

Unit B Circle Court
Warrenbruce Road
Trafford Park
M17 1LB
Telephone: 0845 226 8744
Fax: 0161 8484040


Homecraft Rolyan

Nunn Brook Road
Sutton In Ashfield
Nottinghamshire, NG17 2HU
Telephone: 08444 124 330
Fax: 08448 730 100
Email: homecraftsales@abilityone.com
Website: www.homecraft-rolyan.com

Specialise in mail order products.

Help for people with sight and hearing problems

Dorset Adult and Community Services have several information centres available for those with a visual or hearing impairment. The specialist workers are able to offer advice, equipment to try, information and contact with other organisations. Appointments may not be necessary for the Sight and Sound centre. For further information contact:
Adult Access Team: 01305 221016, email: adultaccess@dorsetcc.gov.uk , website: www.dorsetforyou.com .

Dorset Blind Association (Poole Sight and Hearing Centre)

17 Bournemouth Road
Lower Parkstone
BH14 0EF
Email: members@dorsetblind.org.uk

The Dorset Blind Association Resource Centre has a wide range of low vision aid equipment to help make life easier for people with sight loss, for example talking clocks, watches and CCTV. The Association also provides social and handicraft clubs across Dorset and a home visiting service, as well as a transcription service which provides
information in an accessible format for visually impaired people such as Braille, large print and audio tape transcription and awareness training. Call into the Sight and Hearing Centre any weekday between 9.00am and 12 noon.


Deaf Awareness Technology

16 Furzey Road
BH16 5RW
Tel: 01202 682795
Email: sales@deafawarenesstechnology.co.uk www.diyloopsystems.co.uk

Specialists in personal sound amplifiers, loop systems, visual alert systems, alarm clocks and smoke alarms. Technicians will install equipment across Dorset and Hampshire.

Royal National Institute for the Blind

105 Judd Street
Helpline: 0303 123 9999 – Open Mon- Fri 8.45am-5.30pm
Tel: 020 7388 1266 (Admin).
Email: helpline@rnib.org.uk

Large range of catalogue products for sale, which are targeted at visually impaired people. Catalogues are available in print and online, disk and tape forms, and in Braille.

RNID for deaf and hard of hearing people

19 – 23 Featherstone Street
London, EC1Y 8SL
Telephone: 0808 808 0123 (freephone)
Text phone: 0808 808 9000 (freephone)
Fax: 020 7296 8199
Email: informationline@rnid.org.uk www.rnid.org.uk

The information line is a great place to start if you want information on any aspects of deafness, hearing loss or tinnitus or general information about the work we do. The RNID Information Line offers free confidential and impartial information on a range of subjects including employment, equipment, legislation, benefits and many issues relating to deafness and hearing loss. Trained Information Officers respond to requests via telephone, voice and textphone, email, letters and fax. The service enables enquirers to take further action themselves. If this is not feasible, or there may be better course of
action, the Information Officers give details of local and national organisations that may be able to help.

Adaptions to the home

Disabled Facilities Grants

Disabled Facilities Grants are designed to make your home more suitable and help you to manage more independently.

Social Services will arrange for an Occupational Therapist to visit the property to make sure the work is actually needed and then there will be a means test.

Discretionary and mandatory grants are available.

• Discretionary Grants cover work to make the property suitable for the accommodation and welfare of a disabled person. The local authority decides whether to give you a grant and how much to give.

• Mandatory Grants are dependant on your financial circumstances and cover work that is considered necessary by the council to make the home suitable for a disabled person. The work has also to be reasonable and practical.

• Works covered by a mandatory grant under the Disabled Facilities Grant include:
1. Improving access in and out of the home
2. Improving access to rooms within the home
3. Providing suitable kitchen and bathroom facilities
4. Adapting heating or lighting controls

To apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant contact your local Social Services office and ask for an Occupational Therapist (OT) to come and assess your needs and any work that might be necessary.

The first stage includes the OT assessment followed by an informal means test. You will then be told what your expected contribution is likely to be. The Housing Authority will then ask for more detailed information.

For further information contact the Occupational Therapist at your local Adult and Community Services office on:
Adult Access Team: 01305 221016
Adult and Community Services out of office hours Emergency Duty Team: 01202 657279.

Dorset County Council areas

If you live in areas covered by Dorset County Council and need advice about Disabled Facilities Grants, adaptations to your home, or Handyman schemes in your area contact:

Dorset Accessible Home Service: Tel 0333 00 300 10 – services may then be carried out by:

Milbrook Healthcare

Dorset Home Improvement Agency
Millenium House
2A Sunrise Business Park
Blandford Forum
DT11 8ST
Email: dorsethiacontactus@milbrookhealthcare.co.uk

Other useful information

Bentley Mobility Services Ltd

Unit 19, Highview Business Centre
GU35 0AX
Tel: 01420 470730 (Admin)
Freephone: 0800 068 8462
Website: www.bentleymobility.co.uk

Bentley Mobility Service Ltd provide stairlifts and through floor lifts. All engineers are trained to the highest standards by the manufacturers and provide excellent service at competitive rates. Able to supply equipment whether you are buying privately or applying for a grant.

RADAR- the disability rights people

12 City Forum
250 City Road
Tel: 020 7250 3222
Fax: 0870 141 0337
Minicom: 020 7250 4119
Email: radar@radar.org.uk

A network of information and advice for disabled people including accessible buildings, toilets, and where to obtain RADAR keys to access disabled toilets.

White Rose Collection Ltd

PO Box 5121
BH21 7WG
Tel: 01202 854634
Email: info@whiterosecollection.com

Underwear, Swimwear, and accessories specially designed for people with stomas. 

Was this information helpful?