The purpose of this factsheet is to inform the reader of the options available to them should they need to make a complaint or provide feedback about NHS health services, Adult Social Care services, private healthcare services, and independent care providers. The factsheet also signposts the reader to the Department of Work and Pensions for benefit appeals and complaints, and to the Citizens Advice Bureau for general consumer complaints and advice about energy provider complaints. The factsheet also contains information about further information services.

Most agencies have a complaints procedure; written advice regarding the way that complaints should be handled, and the time scales within which you can expect action.  If you have an issue or complaint that you feel you would like to raise, speak to someone close to the cause of the problem if possible: a doctor, practice manager, care manager for example.  This informal method may be the most effective way in some circumstances.  However, if this does not resolve the problem, listed below are the means through which complaints can be made for Health Services, Adult Social Services, the Department of Work & Pensions (DWP), and Consumer Complaints. 

Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs)

On 1st April 2013 local GPs joined together to form Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) to take charge of how your local health services are run.  The CCGs are responsible for planning and funding most of your local health services.  CCGs are not responsible for primary care services, such as some of the services you receive from your GP, dentist, pharmacist or optometrist. This is now the responsibility of NHS England.

Was this information helpful?
Acceditation logos