Complaints about a mental health service where patients are detained under the Mental Health Act

If you wish to complain about the way a member of staff has used their powers under the Mental Health Act, you need to complain to the hospital where you are being detained or the hospital that discharged you before you went on to a guardianship or community treatment order.

You can speak to a Mental Health Act Commissioner when they visit your hospital or area, or contact the Care Quality Commission (CQC).  Complaints can be made by anyone – patients, staff or any member of the public. Powers and duties carried out under the Mental Health Act cover a wide range of services, including receiving care while detained in hospital, or while on a guardianship or community treatment order.  Contact the CQC on:

CQC Mental Health Act

Newcastle upon Tyne
Tel: 03000 616161

Was this information helpful?