General and consumer complaints

General and consumer complaints

If you need to make a complaint of a more general nature (a consumer complaint or complaint about a service provider) contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau (C.A.B.) who will advise you of your rights and of the best course of action. Details of your local C.A.B. can be found in Yellow Pages or go on line to .

Complaints about your energy provider

If you have an energy problem, in the first instance you should contact your energy supplier.  If you are dissatisfied with their response your complaint should be prioritized within the supply company in accordance with their complaint handling procedures.   To get advice on how to make a complaint about your energy supplier contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau (see above) who will advise you how to process your complaint and can refer you on to:

Energy Ombudsman

PO Box 66
Tel: 0330 440 1624
Fax: 0330 440 1625
Textphone: 0330 440 1600

If your energy supplier is unable to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction they must tell you this in writing.  This is called a letter of deadlock. You can pursue your complaint further with the Ombudsman once you have received a letter of deadlock.  If you have not received a letter of deadlock you must wait at least eight weeks before contacting the Ombudsman.  Your complaint must be submitted within nine months of your original complaint to your supplier. Or, if you have received a letter of deadlock, you must submit your complaint to the Ombudsman within six months of receiving your letter.

Was this information helpful?