Other sources of legal help, and help with Power of Attorney

Allied Services Trust

The Granary
Newlands Manor Farm
SO41 0JH
Tel: 01590 644073
Email: enquiries@alliedservicestrust.org
Skype: alliedservicestrust

Allied Services Trust is a Registered Charity with professionally trained experts in Lasting Power of Attorney. Help is available to help you understand and make your lasting Power of Attorney documents. Allied Services Trust can even act as your attorney if required. For further details and charges please contact the office on 01590 644073.


Diverse Abilities

Unit C, Acorn Business Park
Ling Road
BH12 4NZ
Tel: 01202 718266 (Admin only)
0300 330 5514 (information and appointment line)


Jewell Road

Diverse Abilities offers assistance and support to disabled people, with the complicated issues around dealing with the forms and paperwork involved in applying for disability benefits, and legal matters involved in setting up Power of Attorney (LAP), deputyship, wills, and Advance Decisions and Living Wills, and transitions checklists. Diverse Abilities are also offering assistance with setting up Lasting Power of Attorney to older people, and people with memory problems so that documents can be set in place whilst they still have capacity to do so. Staff will be able to visit you at home to assist you with the forms, and will do their best to explain or avoid the use of unnecessary legal jargon. For further details and charges contact 0300 330 5514 Mon – Friday 9.30am – 1.30pm (information and appointment line).


Dorset Race Equality Council

4th Floor Richmond House
33 Richmond Hill
Tel: 01202 553003
Fax: 01202 553066
Enquires: enquires@dorsetrec.org.uk

Dorset REC provides information, advice and support to people experiencing racial discrimination or harassment.

Law Centres – in some areas there are Law Centres that will give free legal advice. To find out the address of your nearest centre contact:


Law Centres Federation

Floor 1, Tavis House

1 -6 Tavistock Square



Tel: 020 3637 1330

Email: (via website)   




Personal Support Unit

Bournemouth and Poole County Court
Courts of Justice
Deansleigh Road
Tel: 01202 417606
Email: bournemouth@thepsu.org.uk

The PSU are an independent charity who are able to support people going through the civil and family court process, and tribunals without legal representation. With the help of trained and experienced volunteers, including post-graduate students who are training to be Barristers or Solicitors, their aim is to help you manage your case yourself. The service is free, independent and confidential, and is offered to everyone who asks. The PSU can help by:

• Helping you work through court forms

• Helping you find your way around the court system and the court building itself

• Attending court with you for emotional support

• Help you organise your thoughts and court papers

• Refer you to other legal agencies or advocacy services able to help you, and go with you to court offices and counters

• Go to court with you and stay throughout your hearing

• Help you think through what your next steps may be.

PSU do not offer to:

• Give legal advice, or an advocacy service

• Act on your behalf or tell you what to write on your forms

• Look after your children or any vulnerable adult with you

• Act as a witness to investigations

• Share your confidential information with anyone else, unless they hear something that causes concern for yours or another person’s safety.

For further information contact the office listed above.

Trade Unions

Trade Unions may provide free legal representation for a variety of problems to current and previous members.

Motoring organisations

Motoring organisations may offer a cheap or free legal advice to their members.

Legal expenses insurance

Legal expenses insurance is available via some insurance policies which cover the expenses of certain legal matters including consumer disputes, personal injuries, employment issues, and motoring offences.

Legal advice delivered online in British Sign Language

Deaf BSL users in England and Wales receiving benefits or living on a low income are able to obtain free and confidential legal advice through a webcam with a broadband connection. The caseworkers are fluent in BSL, and provide specialist advice about Welfare Benefits and Employment, Housing and Debt. For further information visit www.radlegalservices.org.uk


Purple Legal – a nationwide legal support scheme


Darby’s Solicitors LLP
52 New Inn Hall Street
Tel: 0845 567 5000
Email: purple@darbys.co.uk
Website: www.purplelegal.co.uk

Able to provide advice from specialist lawyers in the following areas of law:

• Personal Injury.

• Wills, Trusts, Tax Planning and Probate

• Buying and Selling Properties

• Family, Matrimonial and Child Law

• Motoring Offences and all Criminal Law

• Employment

• Planning

• Disputes

• Clinical and Medical Negligence

• Equine Law

• Immigration

• Bankruptcy

• Business and Commercial Law

Book a ‘SolicitorSlot’ for a time and date to suit you; you can put your legal enquiries to a specialist lawyer who will answer them – free of charge. You can book a SolicitorSlot online or by telephone. If actual legal work is then required, we will tell you what we would charge. You are then free to “shop around”. You will never be liable to us for any legal fees unless we have given you a fee quote and you have agreed to it.

Victim Support Dorset

Unit A19 Arena Business Centre
Holyrood Close
BH17 7FJ
Tel: 01202 606200
Fax: 01202 606201
Email: vsdorset@victimsupport.org.uk
Website: www.victimsupport.org.uk
National Victim Supportline: 0845 30 30 900

Victim Support is the national independent charity for people affected by crime – victims and witnesses, their families and friends – we are here to help. Trained staff and volunteers offer free and confidential information, support and practical help following a crime, such as burglary, assault, harassment, domestic violence, rape and murder. Victim Support can offer:

• Someone to talk to in confidence

• Emotional support and practical help

• Information on the police, court procedures and criminal justice system

• Support and information while attending court

• Help with criminal injuries compensation and insurance claim

• Contact with – and referral to – other relevant organisation

• Advice on crime prevention

• Help with housing or benefit problems

Was this information helpful?