0300 111 3303

Tax advice and where to go for help

There are many life changes that may have tax implications for older people, such as the sale of your home, gifting of money to relatives or the death of a spouse. If the tax office is unaware that someone has reached their retirement age and is entitled to higher tax allowances, these can go unclaimed for years. For further information contact the Inland Revenue office on:

Taxes Helpline:

0845 300 0627

Opening hours: 8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Monday to Friday, 8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday.
Please have your National Insurance number with you when you phone.

Tax help for older people (TOP)

Pineapple Business Park
Salway Ash
Tel: 0845 601 3321 or 01308 488066
Email: taxvol@taxvol.org.uk

Provides free advice to people over 60 on low incomes throughout Dorset every week, either by telephone or at surgeries in local Age Concern centres and other local charities (contact for details). All interviews with an adviser are by appointment and in private. Telephone advice is available for simple enquiries. Home visits can be arranged for disabled clients.

Chartered Institute of Taxation

If your income level is above the level that TOP can deal with the Chartered Institute of Taxation are able to give information about advisors in your area. Contact them on 02073 400550, opening hours Monday – Friday 8.30am – 5.30pm, or visit http://www.tax.org.uk/about_the_ciot/find-a-cta

Information about Independent Financial Advisors

IFA Promotion Ltd

2nd Floor
117 Farringdon Road
London, EC1R 3BX

To find an IFA in your area, go to:

Was this information helpful?