Tax advice and independent financial advisers

There are many life changes that may have tax implications for older people, disabled and carers such as, changes in income levels, retirement, access to benefits, the sale of your home, gifting of money to relatives or the death of a spouse. If the tax office is unaware that someone has reached their retirement age and is entitled to higher tax allowances, these can go unclaimed for years. For further information contact the HMRC on:

Helpline: 0300 200 330

Textphone: 0300 200 3319  or

Opening hours: 8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Monday to Friday, 8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday, Sunday 9am – 5pm. Please have your National Insurance number with you when you phone.



Tax Aid advises people on low incomes who have tax issues HMRC are unable to sort out. For further details contact


Tax help for older people (TOP)

Pineapple Business Park

Salway Ash




Tel: 01308 488066 or 0845 601 3321 (calls to 0845 number cost 5ppm)


Provides free advice to people over 60 on low incomes throughout Dorset every week, either by telephone or at surgeries in local Age Concern centres and other local charities (contact for details).   All interviews with an adviser are by appointment and in private.  Telephone advice is available for simple enquiries.  Home visits can be arranged for disabled clients.


Chartered Institute of Taxation

If your income level is above the level that TOP can deal with the Chartered Institute of Taxation are able to give information about advisors in your area. Contact them on 02073 400550, opening hours Monday – Friday 8.30am – 5.30pm, or visit or use



Independent financial advice, lists of independent financial advisers nationally and locally, first consultation session is free. For further details go online at:  



Was this information helpful?