Support for carers via Adult Social Care and local providers
Carers Concession Card Scheme
As a registered carer in Bournemouth, Poole, or Dorset you are eligible for the Carers Card Scheme which gives you access to discounts on a range of goods and services such as:
- days out and activities
- travel and holidays
- health and beauty
- sport and fitness
- places to eat and drink
The card will be sent to you when you register as a carer, further information is available from the Carers Centre (see below) or https://www.mylifemycare.com/carers-card or contact 01305 221016.
Carers in Crisis
Carers in Crisis is a free to join service provided by Adult Social Care across Bournemouth, Poole, and Dorset as an emergency back-up plan to help the person you care for. If you the carer are taken ill, have an accident, or are unable to provide your normal level of care due to an emergency Carers in Crisis can provide support. The service call centre is available 24hrs a day, 7 days a week, and when contacted staff will put in place actions agreed by you to ensure your cared for person is informed of the situation and that their care needs are met. As part of the scheme you will be
provided with a card and a key fob showing you are a carer, with the call centre number and your unique reference number. In the event of an emergency anyone can contact the call centre on your behalf. For further details contact your local Adult Social Care office to register:
Bournemouth Carers Support Service: 01202 458204
Dorset Direct: 01305 221016 (for Christchurch & East Dorset)
Poole Adult Social Care Help Desk: 01202 633902 or email: email@example.com
Or you can register online at: http://www.crispweb.org/carers-forms/join-carers-information-service.aspx
General support, information and advice for carers is available from:
The Carers Centre (CRISP)
St Ambrose Cottage
Tel: 01202 458204
Pop-in available on Tuesday 2 – 4pm and Friday 10am – 12pm for Bournemouth and Poole residents. No need for an appointment, just come along. Refreshments provided. Carers Support Service available Monday – Friday during office hours.
Carers Moving Forward – A group for carers whose caring role has ceased. The group offers support to people who are adjusting to changes in circumstances that occur when your caring role ceases. Meets Wednesday 10am – 12 noon, refreshments provided.
Carers’ Social Groups – groups funded by CRISP:
- Care Free Choir – Monday 10.30am – 12 noon at St Osmund’s Church, Parkstone, contact Chrissy on 07840976584.
- Carers Coffee Group – 1st Thursday of the month, between 11am – 12 noon at Pause Cat Café, 119 Old Christchurch Road, Bournemouth, BH1 1EP – meet up with other carers, and cats! Contact Mandy at Faithworks on 01202 429037 or 07704968338.
- Carers Reading and Social Group – 1st Tuesday of the month between 2pm -3pm at Rossmore Library, Herbert Avenue, BH12 4HR. Contact Pauline Lawrence on 01202 280441, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carers’ Social Group – last Wednesday of the month, between 2.30pm – 4pm
at Canford Heath Library, Mitchell Road, Canford Heath, Poole BH17 8UE. Contact 01202 678955.
- Coffee and Conversation for Men – 3rd Thursday of the month between 10am – 12 noon at The Leonardo Trust, 5 Dunyeats Road, Broadstone, BH18 8AA. Contact Support for Carers at Leonardo Trust on 01202 698325, email email@example.com .
- Coffee for Carers – 2nd Wednesday of the month, between 10am – 12 noon at the Leonardo Trust, 5 Dunyeats Road, Broadstone, BH18 8AA. Contact The Leonardo Trust on 01202 698325, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Meridian Events – social events for carers only, and/or carers and their cared for person. Two booked events per carer per month £6 per event. Activities range from day trips, theatre or cinema visits, through to meals at a local restaurant, bar or café.
Residents of Christchurch and East Dorset need to contact Dorset Direct on 01305 221016 or go online at https://www.mylifemycare.com/support-and-services-for-carers/carers-information-service .
Help & Care, The Pokesdown Centre, 896 Christchurch Road, Bournemouth, BH7 6DL
Caring for a loved one or relative can be hard work, so Help & Care are here to support carers in as many ways as we can, be it giving information and advice, advocacy and support, or practical help with home repairs or adaptations. Call 0300 111 3303 for
information and advice or to discuss any concerns you may have, or visit our website for:
- Factsheets; “Carers’ Rights and Assessments”, “Carers Allowance”, and “Training and Practical Support for Carers”. https://www.helpandcare.org.uk/services/information-and-signposting/
You can also pop in to our office if you wish, or call to make an appointment.
Leonardo Trust, 5 Dunyeats Road, Broadstone, Poole, Dorset, BH18 8AA
Independent local charity to help carers in Dorset who care for a sick or disabled relative or friend at home. Funding available to help with a variety of needs, information and advice about your caring role, access to local services. Contact office for further information.
Support from your GP Surgery
You can also register as a carer at your GP surgery (this is separate to registering with the local authority). Many surgeries have a dedicated member of staff within the practice (sometimes called a Carers Lead) who can advise patients on how the practice can support your caring needs.