0300 111 3303

Other Regions


The purpose of this factsheet is to inform its readers of the different transport options available to them in Bournemouth and Christchurch whether they be able bodied or need assistance with travel and transport.

Concessionary travel - Bourenmouth

Concessionary Travel passes are issued to qualify permanent residents of Bournemouth to travel free Mon – Friday 9.30am – 11pm and all day at weekends and bank holidays on buses throughout England (subject to national scheme restrictions).  If you are visually impaired you can use your pass all day within the Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch areas.  If you are travelling outside of these areas you may only travel at off peak times.

A national pass is available to permanent residents of Bournemouth if the applicants have reached their state pension age, or are below pensionable age and disabled, and meet the following criteria:

• You are partially sighted or blind

• You have a learning disability

• You are without speech or hearing

• You are without arms or have lost the use of both arms

• You have been refused a driving licence for medical reasons

• You have a disability or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long term affect on your ability to walk (which   is comparable to the level required to claim Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance).

• You are receiving DLA – Higher Rate Mobility Component, or the War Pensioners Mobility Allowance.

• You have been assessed as having a permanent and substantial disability by the Service Personnel & Veterans Agency (SPVA).

Am I eligible?

Effective since April 2010, the government have introduced changes to the criteria by which people qualify for a bus pass on the grounds of age bringing it in line with the increase in the pensionable age for women from 60 to 65.  The age of eligibility will rise in stages between 2010 and 2020, meaning the earliest age for men and women to get bus passes will gradually increase from 60 on 6th April 2010 to 65 on 5th April 2020 to correspond with the age that you reach your state pension age.  Please check to see when you are able to apply by telephoning 01202 451584 or emailing concessions@bournemouth.gov.uk or visit

Pass Holder & Companion Connect Card

If you require a companion or carer to travel with you to enable you to use public transport, a Connect Card can also be issued to enable your companion to travel free.  Please ensure that a ‘Pass Holder & Companion Care’ is requested on your application form.  Companion passes can only be used free on local buses within the Bournemouth, Poole, and Christchurch area.  Outside of these areas, the companion may be charged.  Please check with the relevant bus company before making your journey.

Connect Travelcard – conditions of use

• The Travelcard allows the named holder (and companion if the card is so endorsed) bus travel at the concessionary rate 
  indicated, it is not transferable to other passengers

• The Travelcard is valid on all local buses operating in England

• Travel is subject to the bus operators’ conditions of carriage

• The Travelcard must be shown to the driver when boarding the vehicle and be available for inspection at all times.  Drivers (or inspectors) will not allow passengers to travel at the concessionary rate if they are unable to produce a valid Travelcard and they have the right to question entitlement in suspicious circumstances.

• You accept that when you use your Travelcard neither of the local authorities that co-operate to provide the scheme nor their agents and/or contractors shall be liable for any loss or damage arising directly or indirectly in connection with obtaining or using a bus operator’s services.

• If the Travelcard is stolen this should be reported to the issuing authority immediately

• The Travelcard remains the property of the issuing authority.

To find out if you are eligible for a Connect Travelcard and for further details contact:

Concessionary Travel

Town Hall
St Stephen’s Road
Helpline: 01202 451584
Email: concessions@bournemouth.gov.uk

Was this information helpful?