Other Regions

Applying for a bus pass - Concessionary Travel

The purpose of this factsheet is to inform its readers of the different transport options available to them whether they be able bodied or need assistance with travel and transport.

To apply for a free bus pass, you need to be a permanent resident of Bournemouth, Poole, or Christchurch and East Dorset, and meet the eligibility criteria.

If you have reached the state pension age, or you have certain disabilities you are eligible to apply to the local authority for a free bus pass, you can check your state pension age here: https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-age/y/bus_pass . Children with a disability can also apply.

If you have the following disabilities you are eligible for a free bus pass:

  • You are blind or partially sighted
  • You are profoundly deaf or severely deaf
  • You are without speech
  • Your disability is substantial or has a long-term effect on your ability to walk
  • You have arms or have lost the use of your arms long-term
  • You are a member of the armed services who has been seriously injured during service
  • You have a learning disability or can’t get a driving license due to medical reasons.


Information you need to provide when you apply

You will need to supply the following details when making your application for a bus pass:

  • A recent passport sized photograph of you
  • Proof of your identity – (a driving license, passport, birth certificate, or repeat prescription slip)
  • Your national insurance numbers
  • If you are applying for a bus pass due to disability you need to provide evidence of your disability and eligibility to apply.
  • If you are applying for a companion pass for your carer evidence from your GP will be required to prove that you need a companion to assist you while you are travelling.

Further details of what type of evidence to provide, and how to apply can be found here: Bournemouth: https://www.bournemouth.gov.uk/travelandtransport/PublicTranport/freebuspassforadults/free-bus-pass-for-adults.aspx  and https://www.bournemouth.gov.uk/travelandtransport/PublicTranport/freebuspassforadults/documents-required-for-a-disabled-persons-bus-pass.aspx     Poole  :  http://archive.poole.gov.uk/transport-and-streets/public-transport/concessionary-fares-bus-passes/#How-to-apply-for-a-Bus-Pass  Christchurch and East Dorset: https://www.dorsetforyou.gov.uk/travel-dorset/bus/national-bus-pass-concessionary-travel .

Bus passes awarded by local councils can be used on local bus services across the conurbation between the hours of 9.30am and 11pm Monday to Friday, and at all times during the weekend and on Bank Holidays. Your bus pass can also be used for onward journeys throughout England but is restricted to use within these times of day only. Visually impaired passes can be used all day. Bus passes cannot be used on long distance coaches, trains, or train replacement buses or shuttles, or tour buses and coaches.


Replacing a lost or stolen bus pass

If you lose your bus pass or have it stolen inform your local authority straight away, there is a charge for a replacement. It may take up to 10 days to make a replacement and this will be posted to you. If your bus pass is stolen report it to the police and get a crime number, to help you inform the local authority about the theft. There is no charge for replacement stolen bus pass.  If your bus pass has been damaged and needs replacement you will be charged, if it is not functioning for a technical reason the replacement is free. You will need to take your damaged bus pass to your local authority customer service desk so that the damage can be assessed.


Change of circumstance

You will need to inform your local authority if any of your circumstances change as this may affect your eligibility for a bus pass. If you move home to an address still within the borough you will need to let your council have details of your new address so that records can be updated.  If you move outside of the borough you will need to reapply for a bus pass from your new local authority, you will be asked to return your old bus pass to the previous authority.

If you need to have companion travel added to your bus pass because your condition now requires that you need someone to travel with you, you will be asked to provide medical proof that this is now the situation. This upgrade will be free of charge, and you can only travel with this pass when your companion is with you.

Failure to inform your local authority of changes in your circumstances may affect the renewal of your bus pass when the time comes.


Renewing your bus pass

If none of your circumstances have changed and your bus pass was issued for non-medical reasons, your new bus pass will be sent to you automatically before it is due to expire. If you have been issued a bus pass due to a medical condition you will be asked to provide evidence that the situation still applies. You may now need to have companion travel added to your bus pass, medical evidence to support this will also be needed. If you have not informed your local authority of your change of address you will need to pay for your new bus pass ordered for your new address.




Was this information helpful?
Acceditation logos