Blue Badge Scheme

The Blue Badge Scheme helps you park closer to your destination if your mobility is affected by disability or long - term illness. Advice about eligibility for a Blue Badge is available at:  and .

You can apply for a Blue Badge through your local authority or you can apply online at . Applying online will speed up your application but first you will need to check that your circumstances fit your local authority’s criteria for the Blue Badge Scheme. Check local authority details at:

Bournemouth -

Poole -

Dorset -

You will be asked to provide written evidence of your eligibility to join the Blue Badge Scheme. You do not need to be the driver of the car to qualify for a Blue Badge.


Who can apply for a Blue Badge

You can apply for a Blue Badge if any of the following situations apply:

  • You can’t walk due to disability.
  • You have a child under 3 who needs bulky medical equipment or treatment.
  • You are an organisation that transports disabled people.

The following situations automatically qualify you for a Blue Badge:

  • You are driving on behalf of someone who is blind.
  • You get the higher rate of mobility payment through PIP (Personal Independence Payment) or DLA (Disability Living Allowance).
  • You are getting War Pension Mobility Supplement.
  • You have been assessed by the Service Personnel and Veterans agency (SPVA) and have been awarded a benefit with Armed Forces Compensation Scheme.
  • You have a vehicle supplied under the Motability Scheme.
  • You regularly drive but can’t turn the steering wheel without aid and can’t use a parking meter.


Replacing or returning a Blue Badge

If you are sure your Blue Badge has been stolen report the theft to the Police. They will give you a lost property or crime number which you will need when you report the loss to your local authority.

When you write to inform your local authority of the loss you will need the following details:

  • Full name and address of the badge holder.
  • Why a replacement is needed.
  • The lost property/crime number.
  • A passport sized photo of the badge holder (signed on the back by them).
  • Signature of the badge holder.
  • Replacement fee (approx. £10).


Your local authority needs to be informed if you are moving home so that all future correspondence concerning your badge is sent to the correct address. If you are moving away from the area your Blue Badge needs to be returned before you move and you will need to reapply in the area you move to.

Your Blue Badge also needs to be returned if your condition improves and you no longer qualify for a badge. The local authority also needs to be informed if the badge holder passes away, and will need to know the name and address of the deceased and the date of their death.

It is an offence to use a Blue Badge you are not entitled too and you may be prosecuted for fraud.


Tax exemption for your vehicle

If you are a disabled driver you do not need to pay vehicle tax on your car. Apply for exemption online at  . 

If you are buying a new vehicle take your exemption forms and insurance documents to the dealership with you. If you wish to switch to free vehicle tax for a used vehicle you can do this online via the Post Office or at your local branch  or call the Post Office at 0845 722 3344.

Was this information helpful?
Acceditation logos